Saturday, June 20, 2015

Custom Mug Craft

This Father's day we were tight on money so I decided to make my husband a gift.  I have this inexpensive gift idea that I made this year for my husband. It's very simple and the supplies are items most crafters will already own.

What is needed....
Plain white mug
Sharpie permanent markers (in as many colors as you would like.)
Dry eraser marker
Something to erase the dry eraser marker.
Mod Podge
Paint brush

First,  I started with a plain white mug. I got mine at the Dollar Tree for $1.00. Then I took some Sharpie permanent markers anddraw a design and wrote a few things on the mug.

I drew a mustache on one side and I wrote "World's Best DAD." I did the DAD the way it's shown in the picture by making many lines going one direction and then more going the either.  Then I took a dry eraser marker and wrote "DAD" on top then I quickly erased over the top which removed both the dry erase marker and the permanent marker. Quick tip, I messed up on writing the words and I was able to get the marker off with a baby wipe and then I dried the spot with a paper towel.



Then I added the Mod Podge on top. I used the gloss finish. Once I covered the entire outer surface of the mug I put it on a cookie sheet in the oven. I turned on the oven and let it heat up to 350. Make sure that you put the mug in the oven before you turn it on,  it has to heat up gradually or it will crack.

Once the oven is at 350 then set a timer for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes shut the oven off but do not remove the mug. Let the mug gradually cool down in the oven.
There you have it, quick and easy. There are so many possibilities for this craft. Have fun and be creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment